Friday 23 May 2014

Project 4 - How to Say It (Part 2: Speech Analysis)

I'm very excited to write this blog post!

Today, I'm going to do something special. Instead of reviewing my own Project #4 speech (which was pretty boring), I am going to analyse one of my all-time-favourite Toastmasters speeches by the very talented, Andy Dooley.

Andy has used so many techniques in his speech, but for this analysis, I am going to focus on only the techniques that apply to what you're learning in Project#4.

First, what I want you to do is watch the video. Then, read my analysis. The reason for this is that this is a really great speech and I want you to enjoy it first before digging into the analysis.

Here it is:


It was very funny, wasn't it?! I find that even after I've watched it again and again, I still find it really amusing.

One of the things that Andy demonstrates so perfectly in his speech is how to use words effectively.

He uses many vivid words throughout his speech, which help to tell the story by creating a picture in our mind of what is happening. 

For instance, instead of saying that "the sky was blue" (which is not very descriptive), he says "the sky was fire-ice blue". Can you picture that amazing sky now? Also, instead of saying "hot coals", he says "red-hot burning coals". Can you picture how extremely hot those coals would be? Instead of saying "he had nice teeth", he said "he had perfect-white teeth" to show how in awe Andy was of his idol. The whole way through his speech, Andy is painting word-pictures by his descriptive use of language. 

Andy also uses rhetorical devices including alliteration, similes, triads, and even rhyme to make his speech more engaging and memorable.

Alliteration: "Date with Destiny", "Forty feet", "Filled with Fear", "The magic Moment", "Goggles, Gloves", "Boots, Beanies"

Simile: "I walked over there like I was walking on fire!"

Triads: Andy..Andy...Andy, Destiny..Destiny..Destiny...,1. I've listened to his CDs 2. I've been to his seminar, 3. I even have a tattoo..

Rhyme: She turned out to be...a he!

Ok, now have another look at his speech. What other word techniques did he use to make his speech special? There are quite a few that I haven't mentioned in the hopes you can identify some of them yourself.

Also (a little tip for when you get to project 6) - notice Andy's tone of voice throughout the speech. It's not just the words you say but how you use your voice :)

As always, good luck with your speech, and another music video to get you motivated. Just think - if Hanson can make a popular song  (well, it was popular at the time it was released!) out of the nonsense words "mmm-bop bah doo wap" (or something like that),  I'm sure you can make a good speech using some real words!




No comments:

Post a Comment