Saturday 17 May 2014

Joining the Executive Committee

Hi all,

Before I go and do my speech analysis for project #4, I want to talk about being a member of the Executive Committee for your Club.

It's that time of the year again where clubs are nominating their Executive Committee for the next (2014-2015) financial year.

YOU should do it.

"What? But...I...er...Why Me..Um...?" I hear you say.

You should just DO IT. Put your hand up and be on the Executive Committee. Why? Well, no matter what role you're in, you'll learn to develop leadership skills. Plus, it's fun! Also, you'll be helping your Club to run smoothly and be the best that it can be. 

I have been Vice President of Membership, Vice President of Public Relations, Newsletter Publisher (ok..not an official Committee role but still is a valid role in some clubs), and I self-nominated myself for the role of Club Secretary for 2014-2015 year.

.....I just found out today that my club has also nominated me in as Secretary (which is no surprise, considering no-one else put their hand up for the role!).

I know a lot about these Committee roles and I can tell you that it's definitely worth it if you have the right mindset.

You see, one of the key qualities of a good leader is to be of service to others. In your role as a club leader, you'll be serving the members and potential members of your club for a whole year. It is work, but it is enjoyable work if you focus on making the club the best it can be for everyone.

Also (If you decide to embark on the journey of leading your club forward for the next year), I'd recommend you read Stephen Covey's book "The 8th Habit" which will guide you along the way.

"All people can be leaders if they strive to find their voice and inspire others to find theirs"

- Stephen Covey


As per usual, here is a music video to inspire you:




No comments:

Post a Comment